Monday, May 24, 2010

Keeping up

Be careful what you wish for.

Last year was tough for many businesses across the board. In the wedding industry, many couples rightfully cut back on expenses as their big day approached. 2009 was not terrible for Shared Moments Video, but it certainly wasn't great either.

Despite the down year, I made a significant investment in new HD cameras, a new computer, and new editing software. It was tough to swallow considering my perfectly-good, well maintained standard definition equipment was completely paid for. My SD cameras probably have two more full wedding seasons left in them. But technology has passed them by.

I was not about to be the last man standing with standard def gear. Upgrades were necessary to keep up with consumer demands - and they were costly.

So here we are in 2010, mid-May, and I am absolutely slammed. That's great news for the bottom line, not so great news for my life outside of business.

But given the alternative, I wouldn't have it any other way.