Monday, July 13, 2009

I make no apologizes

Before reading this post please know this - my first priority as your wedding videographer is to make sure I do the best job I can do for you and perform the task in a respectful manner. That's what you're paying me to do. And if that goes against the grain of the "lady who handles weddings at the church" so be it. A wedding is no time for power trips and "protecting our turf" attitudes. We only have one shot to get this right.

Now onto the post.

I shot a wedding recently in a church that will remain nameless. Said church had rules about what the videographer and photographer could do and where they could go. Those rules were not in line with the vast majority of churches I've worked in. In fact, the rules stifled any chance I had of getting decent footage of the bridal party coming down the aisle... you know, seeing the people's faces?

Taking into consideration the minister was less than thrilled to wear my wireless mic, I knew the guy wasn't a happy camper to begin with. It wasn't like he was a sunshine and lollipops kind of guy. Heck, he wasn't even warm and inviting. This is not what I'm used to dealing with.

To my knowledge there is no physical evidence that this minister has ever cracked a smile in his life. He clearly did not care about this couple's wishes. Whether or not their wedding video was worth watching wasn't his concern. No, his concern was that I stayed behind the imaginary line. Well, the imaginary line wasn't going to cut it. The imaginary line was the last row of pews the congregation was seated in. There were a lot of people and a lot of pews.

In the past three years I've shot lots of weddings. I follow the same procedure each time and it's NEVER been a problem before this ceremony. I'm so discreet, only the handful of people who can actually see me know where I am. Throwing caution to the wind, I did what I always do. I did what's deemed respectful in every other church I've been to.

The minister was not happy about this. Of course, he wasn't happy before I got the shots I needed either. And after the ceremony, he told me he wasn't happy. In fact, he scolded me and said if it happens again, NEXT TIME HE WILL STOP THE CEREMONY.

My response to him was "that would really be unfortunate for you to do that." He replied, "yes it would be." The minister later had words with the photographer who also "crossed the line." Again, the photographer did exactly what he's been doing for 30 years. And for 30 years it's never been a problem.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Isn't your wedding day supposed to be about you and your happiness? Isn't it supposed to be a joyous occasion where two lives become one and that comes before all else?

I think it is.

I think you'll want to remember it that way when you watch your video. Brides, you'll want to see the expression on your face as you come down the aisle and not the back of your head. Do you want to remember that moment as it was or the rules I had to follow? There's only a few ways to get that shot and none of them were acceptable to this minister. His words and actions were "that's just too bad." Yes, too bad indeed. Too bad for him.

I was as respectful as I could be and should have been. I would never do anything unreasonable in God's house. When you choose a videographer (and a photographer, for that matter) make sure you select someone who is willing to "cross the line" if need be.

Taking the heat from an overly protective minister is a small price to pay. Apologizing to you for not doing my job would be a far greater one.